Monday, June 23, 2008

Splurge on Books

I haven't sat down properly and enjoyed a novel for such a long time due to overwhelming commitments... so for my birthday, a very close aunt of mine gave me vouchers for Borders books! Naturally as a nerd, I was so delighted, but I still spent waaaay more than expected...

Books I bought:
















-'Lolita' by Vladimir Nabokov
-'Brave New Worl'd by Aldous Huxley
-'One Hundred Years of Solitude' by Gabriel Garcia Marquez
-'The Great Gatsby' by F. Scott Fitzgerald
-'The Golden Notebook' by Doris Lessing
-'War and Peace' by Leo Tolstoy

Glossies:

-Numero #92 (the one in Black & White with Catherine McNeil on the cover)
-Cake Magazine Issue Two (Singapore publication)





















I first saw this zine while browsing the racks of magazines in Borders, and this Cake magazine stood out because of its rather intriguing graphic design and attractive colours.

So being the inquisitive person I am, I picked it up and realised it was only SG$8, which is actually rather cheap for a foreign publication which I thought it was. But flipping through the mag, I couldn't help but feel a local vibe coming from the writing and expressions. Hence, a further discovery of the 'Stockists' page at the back revealed that it was indeed a local publication. Which was rather amazing since this magazine really brings local standards to a higher level, what with the special graphics, thought and effort put into.





































The front cover is done up by local think tank, Asylum, which I believe has a store in Ann Siang Hill selling more unique glossies.

From the Editor's Note, apparently this front flap cover is not of digital roses, but actual 800 dark red rose buds bought specifically for this cover flap. The results are indeed gorgeous and my pictures do no justice to the lovely hues.































The fashion shoots in this magazine are much more adventurous and have rather interesting concepts. Also, this magazine is more of pushing boundaries and exploring with different presentations and ideas. I'm also loving the different types of lighting used in the fashion shoots following these. Sadly due to my outrageously inapt skills at photography, the colours turned out all wrong and so it would be a really inaccurate representation...

















I haven't caught wind of Issue One, and am really looking forward to the next issue.

Since I'm on the topic of academic pursuits, here's a picture of the lovely paperweights gifted to my mother by her lovely boss. One's a persimmon while the other is a tangerine.

2 comments:

*~The World is My Catwalk~* said...

Love GGMarquez!! I always can't wait to get home after splurging at a bookstore.. I love how much happiness books and mags bring!

Love your blog! Care to trade links? :-)

raquel said...

hi! books are like a guilty pleasure for me since i rarely have the time to enjoy...

will be linking you soon (: